October 23, 2009

Church Celebrates its Bicentennial

The Four Mile church is the oldest Church of the Brethren congregation in Indiana and will celebrate its bicentennial this weekend. Online article from the Richmond Paladium-Item

According to Planting the Faith in a New Land: Church of the Brethren in Indiana by Steve Bowers, settlement on the Ohio side of the State line began in 1803. Land on the Indiana side of the Greenville Treaty line was surveyed and opened for settlement in 1805. Among the first to settle along the Four Mile that year were John and Polly Miller and they were soon followed into the area by others. This was the beginning of a steady stream of Dunkard settlers into the area. In 1809, Elder Jacob Miller and Elder John Hart came from Ohio and formally organized a new church which took the name Four Mile. It was the first Dunkard congregation in Indiana.