September 13, 2007

The New Price Hospital of 1913

The Church of the Brethren District Office moved into the building at 162 E. Market Street in Nappanee last November. It had previously been an attorney's office, but earlier in its history it served as a real estate office, doctor's office (with the lower level used as the license branch and a used bookstore). The building was first known as the Price Hospital when built in 1913.

According to the Nappanee Advance News, December 19, 1913, "The building is one of the most modern and up-to-date physicians' office and hospital buildings ever built." The entire building was heated by hot water, and every room contained electric lights. In addition, an electric enunciating system was installed throughout the whole building, enabling surgeons or patients to call for assistance from any room.

The upper level of the building included the following rooms: Waiting room, library and business office, 2 private consultation rooms, drug room, and three hospital rooms in the rear for surgery, preparation, and a 3-bed ward.

The lower level included a sterilization and laundry room, furnace and coal room, a kitchen, and a large doctors office room.